Free food, cooking demonstrations at Delaware State Fair
Department of Agriculture buildings cooler this year, with air conditioning added
HARRINGTON – Do your culinary skills need a pick-me-up? The solution may be at the Department of Agriculture Education Building at the Delaware State Fair.
Starting Saturday, visitors to the Department’s building can learn how to make omelets, ice cream sundaes, watermelon salsa, home-brewed beer, corn salsa, and peach desserts, among other topics.
They can also learn about food safety, services offered by the Kent County SPCA, the benefits of real Christmas trees and dairy trivia, and see a demonstration by Chef Budd Cohen of the Sanford School.
“The demonstrations at the fair are always entertaining and educational,” said Secretary of Agriculture Ed Kee. “We have a great lineup this year, and hope all our visitors will find something of interest.”
This year’s demonstrations will be a bit cooler for visitors, with the addition of air conditioning to both the Education and Commodities buildings at the fairgrounds, located between the Kent Barn and the Simpson Building.
The Commodities Building features informational exhibits and activities sponsored by farm groups and other trade associations to educate the public about their livelihoods.
“We have added air conditioning to our buildings to make the fair experience more enjoyable for everyone,” Kee said. “I invite everyone to stop by both buildings and learn more about Delaware agriculture and related industries, which contribute $8 billion to the First State’s economy.”
The demonstrations, conducted by Delaware commodity groups, farmers and Department of Agriculture staffers, take place each day of the fair from July 21 to 27. Additional events may be added, with an updated schedule available at http://dda.delaware.gov or at the Education Building. The events include:
Saturday, July 21
- Giant Sundaes, 3-4 p.m., Delaware Dairy Princess Committee
Sunday, July 22
- Home Brewing, 1-2 p.m. and 3-4 p.m., Dan Woodall, Delaware Department of Agriculture
- Benefits of Real Christmas Trees, 5-6 p.m., Delaware Christmas Tree Growers
Monday, July 23
- Omelets, 1-2 p.m. and 3-4 p.m., John Gargani, Delaware Department of Agriculture
- Dairy Trivia and Samples, 5-6 p.m., Delaware Dairy Princess Committee
Tuesday, July 24
- Ice Cream Cone Sundaes, 1-2 p.m., Mar-Del Watermelon Association
- SPCA Services, 3-4 p.m., Kent County SPCA
Wednesday, July 25
- Food Safety, 5-6 p.m., Common Ground
Thursday, July 26
- Peach Dessert, 1-2 p.m., T.S. Smith & Sons
- Watermelon Salsa, 3-4 p.m., Mar-Del Watermelon Association
- Corn Salsa, 5-6 p.m., T.S. Smith & Sons
Friday, July 27
- Chef Budd Cohen Demonstration, 1-2 p.m. and 3-4 p.m., Sanford School
Chief of Community Relations
Delaware Department of Agriculture