Thirty drop-off locations offered through coordinated local, state, federal effort to reduce prescription drug abuse
Wilmington – Attorney General Beau Biden’s office is sponsoring three consumer prescription drug drop-off sites this Saturday, September 27, in support of Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, a national effort to reduce prescription drug abuse. Take-Back Day is sponsored by the federal Drug Enforcement Administration, in conjunction with state and local law enforcement and healthcare organizations, and Biden’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is sponsoring three drop-off sites out of thirty sites offered statewide. At each site, individuals can anonymously discard unused, unwanted, or expired prescription and over-the-counter medications between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
“The growing epidemic of prescription drug abuse affects families in every corner of our State,” Biden said. “Every Delawarean can help cut off a common source of these drugs – the household medicine cabinet – by gathering unneeded and expired medications and dropping them off for safe disposal.”
The Attorney General’s drop-off sites are offered at the following locations:
New Castle County:
2723 Shipley Road, Wilmington
Heritage at Dover
1203 Walker Road, Dover
Beebe Tunnell Cancer Center
18947 John Jay Williams Highway, Rehoboth Beach
Location information for each Delaware drop-off site is available at www.dea.gov (click on “Got Drugs”) or call 1-800-882-9539. Please note:
• Prescription and over-the-counter solid dosage medications (i.e. tablets and capsules), liquid products and creams in their containers will be accepted
• Drop-off sites are made available as a free public service
• Consumers are encouraged, but not required, to remove personal information from bottles and packages.
• Intravenous solutions, injectables and needles will not be accepted due to the potential hazard posed by blood-borne pathogens.
• Illicit substances such as marijuana and methamphetamine will not be collected at drop-off sites.
• At the conclusion of the event, collected medications will be sealed and securely stored pending disposal.
# # #Related Topics: attorney general • consumer protection • crime • National Prescription Drug Take Back Day • Prescription Drug
Built by the Government Information Center