- Northwest portion of Love Creek, a tributary of Rehoboth Bay, closed to shellfish harvesting Effective immediately, the northwest portion of Love Creek, a tributary of Rehoboth Bay, is closed to all commercial and recreational shellfish harvesting. DNREC Secretary Collin O’Mara signed the Secretary’s Order after routine water quality sampling of shellfish harvesting areas in and around Love Creek found an increase in the level of an indicator bacteria in these waters. NOTE: Shellfish include clams, oysters and mussels; the harvest of crabs is not affected by this closure.May 16, 2013
- State awarded $1 million federal grant to protect critical lands in the Delaware Bayshore More than 800 acres of valuable coastal lands in the Delaware Bayshore, will be conserved and protected thanks to a federal grant awarded to DNREC’s Division of Fish and Wildlife.May 15, 2013
- DNREC Falcon Cam update: Four chicks, all fit and outfitted with bands for future flight and fate The four peregrine falcon chicks given starring roles on the DNREC Falcon Cam – sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society and DuPont’s Clear Into the Future initiative – were outfitted for their own ornithological future this week. They were banded Tuesday by the US Fish & Wildlife Service so as to enable the gathering of biological and biographical data from them as they spread their wings into adulthood.
May 15, 2013
- Wilmington Peregrine Falcons again a full family unit after revitalized chick’s return to nest box With the recent return to the nest box of a chick that was artificially fed and cared for by human hand while it gained weight and strength to fend for itself in the box, the Wilmington Peregrine Falcons of DNREC Falcon Cam fame have regained the family dynamic as the four chicks prepare to fledge.May 14, 2013
- Markell, Carper, Coons, Carney announce funding to restore Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge Delaware Governor Jack Markell and Delaware's Congressional Delegation announced funding to restore the marsh and dune system at Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge that has been degraded by coastal storms including Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
May 8, 2013
- Delaware State Parks Launches “Delaware Outdoor Family” Program DNREC’s Division of Parks and Recreation is excited to announce the creation of a new program, “Delaware Outdoor Family,” in conjunction with the Children In Nature/No Child Left Inside initiative. May 6, 2013
- Portion of Junction and Breakwater Trail re-routed A quarter-mile section of the Junction and Breakwater Trail has been closed to make way for construction of a new, planned housing development in Lewes, near Cape Henlopen State Park. The affected area is located in the northernmost trail segment between the Hawkseye community and Gills Neck Road.
May 6, 2013
- Driving on the beach at Cape Henlopen State Park Cape Henlopen State Park will host Driving on the Beach workshops on Saturdays, May 11 and June 15, and Sundays, May 19 and June 2. Join park rangers and surf fishing experts to learn the rules and regulations, and get tips on safe driving, how to avoid getting stuck, and how to get unstuck.
May 3, 2013
- DNREC Secretary O’Mara suspends permit for Mike Davidson Enterprises, LLC resource recovery facility DNREC Secretary Collin O’Mara has suspended a permit for Mike Davidson Enterprises, LLC that allowed the resource recovery facility to accept, process, and recycle construction and demolition waste. The suspension was handed down via Secretary’s Order after the company failed to address repeated environmental violations and after Mike Davidson Enterprises, LLC discounted a cease and desist order issued by DNREC. The Secretary’s Order prohibits the facility, located west of Camden in Kent County, from accepting any solid waste including recyclable materials and requires Mike Davidson Enterprises, LLC to take steps to protect public health and the environment.May 2, 2013
- Delaware moves from 10th to 5th among Bicycle Friendly States In honor of National Bike Month, the League of American Bicyclists today released its latest Bicycle Friendly States ranking. In the sixth annual assessment, Delaware achieved a fifth place ranking nationally, while placing number one in the northeastern United States.May 1, 2013
- ‘See it Both Ways’ Safety Campaign Launched at the Walkable, Bikeable Summit At the Walkable, Bikeable Summit today, Governor Jack Markell was joined by Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) Secretary Shailen Bhatt, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Secretary Collin O’Mara and bike advocacy groups to launch the ‘See it Both Ways’ safety campaign designed to educate motorists and bicyclists to look out for each other and share the road.
May 1, 2013
- Governor Markell, DE’s Congressional Delegation and Army Corps Announce Beach Restoration Project Governor Jack Markell, Delaware’s Congressional Delegation of U.S. Sens. Carper and Coons and Representative John Carney (all D-Del.) and Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Secretary Collin O’Mara announced that as much as $30 million in federal funding has been secured to rebuild Delaware beaches to protect homes, businesses and roads against future storm damage. April 30, 2013
- DNREC Fish & Wildlife Enforcement Blotter: April 16-23; Reminder for the week: As season starts, crabbers need be attentive to regs and rigs To achieve public compliance through education and enforcement actions that help conserve Delaware’s fish and wildlife resources and ensure safe boating and public safety, DNREC Division of Fish & Wildlife Enforcement agents between April 16-23 made 597 contacts with hunters, anglers and boaters, and other members of the public, including 57 boardings for boating safety/fishing regulation compliance checks. Agents responded to 33 complaints and issued 22 citations for violations of fish, game, traffic and criminal regulations.April 26, 2013
- Charter School of Wilmington Team “A” Wins State Championship in 2013 Delaware Envirothon Competition Charter School of Wilmington Team A is the winner of the 2013 Delaware Envirothon competition held today at Wicked R Western Productions in Wyoming, Del. Charter School of Wilmington Team B placed second, and the team from Polytech High School won third place in the competition.
April 25, 2013
- TrashStoppers: see DNREC’s anti-dumping program candidly on-camera in new video DNREC’s TrashStoppers program to stop illegal trash dumping in Delaware thrives on violators convicting themselves on camera of breaking the law and possibly costing themselves thousands of dollars in fines. Now, in a new DNREC video, the TrashStoppers program itself goes before the camera for an inside look at how this nationally-recognized program operates to thwart illegal dumping and do away with roadside dump sites in the state.April 25, 2013