State of Delaware - Search and Services/Information
Parks & Recreation
- Fort Delaware Museum Theatre to present "Swallowing the Yellow Dog" Fort Delaware State Park will offer a special museum theatre program debuting on Saturday, Aug. 3 at 2:45 p.m., and on every weekend after that through Labor Day.
“Swallowing the Yellow Dog” presents the story of two Confederate prisoners mulling over one’s decision to sign the oath of allegiance to the United States. The presentation, written by Dale Jones of Making History Connections, was created using primary research information on prisoner life at the fort.
July 31, 2013
- Nature Nook Opens at Dover Public Library The Nature Nook opens today at the Dover Public Library. The nook is a space for kids to learn and get excited about nature and the outdoors. DNREC’s Division of Parks and Recreation, the Children in Nature Task Force, and the Dover Public Library are collaborating on the project.July 29, 2013
- History of Civil War submarine to be presented at Fort Delaware State Park Fort Delaware will host a special program on Saturday, June 29 featuring the story of the H. L. Hunley, an ill-fated Confederate submarine that sank in Charleston Harbor in 1864 with its crew on board. Local historian Bill Jenkins will conduct a special presentation at 11:30 a.m., during which he will discuss the mission and the recovery of the submarine and the sailors who went down with it, as well as the artifact record of the submarine.
June 26, 2013
- #NextGenOutside 5K to Connect Millennials with the Outdoors DNREC’s Division of Parks and Recreation is bringing a brand new event to Wilmington this summer, the #NextGenOutside 5K walk/run on Saturday, June 29. Registration opens at 8 a.m. and the race will start at 9 a.m. in Brandywine Park. Participants will experience local parks in a whole new way, using technology and social media on the trails.June 24, 2013
- Go Ape zip line Treetop Adventure opens at Lums Pond State Park DNREC Secretary Collin O’Mara joined State Representative. Valerie Longhurst, and other state and parks officials on the brand new zip lines at the new Go Ape Treetop Adventure at Lums Pond State Park. It’s the first zip line treetop adventure course in a state park on the East Coast; the first treetop adventure course in Delaware, and Go Ape’s first partnership with a state park. Under the public/private partnership, Go Ape and DNREC’s Division of Parks and Recreation are offering Delawareans this unique outdoor adventureJune 21, 2013
- DNREC Fish & Wildlife Enforcement Blotter: June 4-11; Reminder for the week: Visitors to C&D Canal Conservation Area reminded to heed signs To achieve public compliance through education and enforcement actions that help conserve Delaware’s fish and wildlife resources and ensure safe boating and public safety, DNREC Division of Fish & Wildlife Enforcement agents between June 4 and 11 made 1,649 contacts with anglers, hunters, boaters and the general public, including 83 boating safety/fishing regulation compliance checks. Agents responded to 38 complaints and issued 39 citations, 17 of which were associated with increased Fish and Wildlife Enforcement presence at the C&D Canal Conservation Area (formerly the C&D Canal Wildlife Area) and the associated recreational trail currently under construction.June 17, 2013
- National Fishing Week starts; anglers invited to fish for free in Delaware waters June 8 & 9 Been thinking of casting a line into a nearby stream or daydreaming about a sunny afternoon at the beach with your surf rod, but just haven’t gotten around to purchasing your 2013 Delaware fishing license yet? Then you’ve got an angler’s good luck already for catching the opportunity to try fishing for free for a couple of days, thanks to DNREC’s Division of Fish & Wildlife.
May 31, 2013
- Stretch of beach at Cape Henlopen State Park closed to safeguard nesting piping plovers The first piping plover nest of the season at Gordon’s Pond Beach in Cape Henlopen State Park has been discovered, with the parents-to-be defending their territory, DNREC Wildlife Biologist Matthew Bailey announced. The nest was found late last week, and when last observed, contained three eggs.
May 21, 2013
- DNREC and DelDOT announce project to build trail connector to protect pedestrian and bicyclists in White Clay Creek State Park May 20, 2013
- Delaware State Parks Launches “Delaware Outdoor Family” Program DNREC’s Division of Parks and Recreation is excited to announce the creation of a new program, “Delaware Outdoor Family,” in conjunction with the Children In Nature/No Child Left Inside initiative. May 6, 2013
- Portion of Junction and Breakwater Trail re-routed A quarter-mile section of the Junction and Breakwater Trail has been closed to make way for construction of a new, planned housing development in Lewes, near Cape Henlopen State Park. The affected area is located in the northernmost trail segment between the Hawkseye community and Gills Neck Road.
May 6, 2013
- Driving on the beach at Cape Henlopen State Park Cape Henlopen State Park will host Driving on the Beach workshops on Saturdays, May 11 and June 15, and Sundays, May 19 and June 2. Join park rangers and surf fishing experts to learn the rules and regulations, and get tips on safe driving, how to avoid getting stuck, and how to get unstuck.
May 3, 2013
- ‘See it Both Ways’ Safety Campaign Launched at the Walkable, Bikeable Summit At the Walkable, Bikeable Summit today, Governor Jack Markell was joined by Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) Secretary Shailen Bhatt, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Secretary Collin O’Mara and bike advocacy groups to launch the ‘See it Both Ways’ safety campaign designed to educate motorists and bicyclists to look out for each other and share the road.
May 1, 2013
- State Park Rangers’ investigation into vehicle break-ins leads to arrests of Wilmington couple An investigation by Delaware State Park Rangers into a series of vehicle break-ins over the last three months at White Clay Creek and Brandywine Creek State Parks culminated in the arrests April 19 of a Wilmington couple on an array of criminal charges.April 22, 2013
- River otters fishing for names at Brandywine Zoo; contest to reveal best fit for zoo’s newest animals Two male North American River Otters have taken up residence at the Brandywine Zoo and visitors can not only meet them starting Saturday, April 20, but zoo-goers also have an opportunity to help choose names for the otters by voting at the zoo throughout the spring.April 19, 2013