Governor and Lt. Gov’s Inaugural to be Moved Indoors to Central Middle School Auditorium
The Tuesday inauguration ceremony for Governor Jack Markell and Lieutenant Governor Matt Denn is being moved due to the threat of inclement weather. The ceremony will now take place in the auditorium of Central Middle School, 211 Delaware Ave., Dover, 19901.
The ceremony time remains 11:00 a.m.
Notes on the change for the media:
- Media should be situated in the auditorium no later than 10:30 a.m.
- Parking is first-come, first serve. No special parking allocated except live trucks. See public parking notes below.
- If you have a live truck, you will park be on the west side of Pennsylvania Avenue, facing south. Best access for this area is North State Street to Hazel Road to right on Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Locations for media video cameras/tripods are reserved along an aisle behind the auditorium’s main seating section.
- A mult box will be provided.
- Seating for reporters will be open. There will be no tables because of space constraints.
- WIFI will be available at the school. You will need to get the password from Cathy Rossi, Kelly Bachman or Jessica Eisenbrey (OMB).
Notes on the change for the public:
- For the general public, parking will be available on the streets around the school (Kent Avenue, Maple Lane, Delaware Avenue, Pennsylvania Avenue, American Avenue, Hazel Road, Smith Street).
- Streets in Dover will be open.
- Some state building parking lots around the capitol complex (Tatnall, Townsend/ Haslet/Cooper) will still be closed to state employees Tuesday, so employees may still park at the Blue Hen Corporate Center and use the previously announced shuttles, which will still operate.
- RSVP’d guests with assigned parking near Legislative Hall may still park in the same lots at the capitol and be transported via a shuttle that will make two stops: one on Legislative Avenue between Water and William Penn streets (next to the Tatnall Building); and one on Legislative Avenue between Duke of York and Loockerman streets (next to the Archives, across from the Townsend Building parking lot). This shuttle will begin running at 9:45 a.m.
- Doors to Central Middle School auditorium will open at 10 a.m. Security screenings will be in effect, so attendees are encouraged to arrive by 10:30 a.m.
- There will be reserved seating in the auditorium for distinguished guests and open seating for the general public and media
The public greeting event for guests to meet the Governor and Lieutenant Governor after the ceremony will now take place at Central Middle School following the inaugural ceremony.
The ceremony will still be streamed live at Delaware.gov and audio and video will be made available afterwards.