“Two Civil War Soldiers”: Historical play to be presented at New Castle, Del.’s Arsenal on Nov. 19 and 30, 2014
(DOVER, Del.—Nov. 10, 2014)—American history will be brought to life during “Two Civil War Soldiers,” a play that will be staged during the month of November 2014 at the Arsenal, located at 30 Market St., in New Castle, Del. Sponsored by the New Castle Court House Museum, performances will take place on Wednesday, Nov. 19, at 7 p.m., and Sunday, Nov. 30 at 2 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public but reservations are required by calling 302-323-4453.
Written by Delaware history buffs George McDowell and David Price of Newark, and Jack Witzman of Wilmington, “Two Civil War Soldiers,” is based on factual information about two Confederate soldiers and their experiences after being captured at the Battle of Gettysburg and their subsequent imprisonment at Fort Delaware, a coastal-defense fortress on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River that housed thousands of Confederate prisoners of war during the American Civil War.
Part of the New Castle National Historic Landmark District, the Arsenal was originally constructed in 1809 as a one-story windowless building used by the United States government as a storage place for weapons and ammunition. Transferred to the Trustees of the New Castle Common in the mid-1800s, the building was enlarged to two stories in 1855 for use as a school. It served as the New Castle High School until 1930 and was later used for offices and a restaurant. The Arsenal is owned by the state of Delaware and administered by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs which leases it to the New Castle Historical Society for use as that organization’s headquarters.