Launch of Plazas Comunitarias at the Bear Library
What: Launch of Plazas Comunitarias at the Bear Library
Plazas Comunitarias is a program for Spanish speaking adults in Delaware to complete Elementary education courses in Spanish online. The program first originated through a memorandum of understanding on education established between the Mexican and U.S. governments in 1990, aimed at raising the living standards of Spanish speakers living in the United States. Plazas Comunitarias provides an on-ramp for graduates to then further their education in English. Spanish-speaking adults of any nationality are eligible to attend.
The Delaware Division of Libraries partnered with the Mexican Consulate to pilot this program at the Bear Library in New Castle County. If successful, the intent is to expand the program to libraries in Kent and Sussex counties. The first class is at capacity with 15 students.
Sunday, October 2, 2016, from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Bear Library, 101 Governors Pl. Bear, DE
- Diana Brown, New Castle County Department of Community Services
- Consul Alicia Kerber-Palma, Consulate of Mexico
- Dr. Annie Norman, State Librarian
- Guadalupe Castañeda, Program Coordinator, Plazas Comunitarias Delaware
- Araceli Luna Perez
- Victor Manuel Perez Romo
- Jose Alberto Alvarez Olivares
- Fidel Espino Fuentes
Yara Mendoza, Consulado de Mexico en Filadelfia
(215) 922-4262 x510, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Annie Norman, State Librarian
(302) 257-3001, email@example.com