Killer of Taxi Driver Sentenced to Prison

DOJ prosecutors also get convictions for weapons, drunk driving, and disorderly conduct charges.

A Sussex County man will spend 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to killing a Millsboro taxi driver. Deputy Attorneys General Martin Cosgrove and Caroline Brittingham secured a plea to Murder Second Degree and Robbery First Degree from 25-year-old Joshua Dutton. In August 2014, Dutton was picked up in Rehoboth Beach by a taxi driven by 45-year-old William Toomey. The taxi was found a few hours later along Country Living Road. Dutton used his belt to strangle Toomey, then robbed him before leaving the cab. Judge Richard Stokes sentenced Dutton to a total of 40 years in prison, followed by one year of work release, then nine years of probation.

Deputy Attorney General Periann Doko secured a prison sentence for David Buckham, 25, of Wilmington. In August 2015, Buckham fired a gun from an SUV in a drive-by shooting in the 700 block of West Street in Wilmington, striking a 32-year-old man in the upper torso. Buckham was arrested two months later after the investigation led officials to find him in Bellmawr, New Jersey. In June 2016, a jury convicted Buckham of Assault First Degree, Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited, Possession of Ammunition by a Person Prohibited, and Conspiracy Second Degree. Buckham was sentenced by Judge William Carpenter to 16 years in prison, followed by probation.

Deputy Attorney Timothy Maguire secured a guilty verdict for David Clements, 48, of Wilmington after a two-day jury trial. In September 2015, state troopers answered a call saying Clements was trespassing on a property in the 2100 block of Veale Road in Arden, and the caller knew he was wanted by police. Clements ran when troopers arrived, and when they caught him a short time later, they found a .45 caliber handgun in a holster under a jacket and t-shirt. A jury found Clements guilty of Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon and Resisting Arrest. Clements will be sentenced by Judge Vivian Medinilla in December.

Deputy Attorney General Zach George obtained a guilty plea from Bobby Conley, 67, of Marydel, to Felony Driving Under the Influence. In February 2016, several witnesses saw Conley driving erratically along Halltown Road in Marydel. After crossing the center line of the road and narrowly missing hitting another vehicle head on, Conley crashed his pickup truck into a van parked in a driveway. Conley pled guilty to a seventh offense of Driving Under the Influence, and was sentenced by Judge William Witham to 2 ½ years in prison.

Deputy Attorney General John Kirk secured a guilty verdict against Wilner Romeus, 35, of Seaford for Disorderly Conduct and Hindering Prosecution following a soccer game. In March 2016, Romeus was ejected by the referee from a soccer game at the Boys and Girls Club in Seaford for violent contact, after which he began to scream obscenities. After the game, Romeus confronted the referee as he was leaving the facility on Virginia Avenue, and shouted for someone to hit him. A fight then ensued, and the referee was knocked unconscious. Romeus was sentenced by Court of Common Pleas Judge Kenneth Clark, Jr. to nine months of probation.