Newark Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for Child Rape

Other defendants to serve prison time for rape, weapons, and robbery charges

A 33-year-old Newark man will spend the rest of his life in prison after being sentenced on a rape charge. Deputy Attorney General Diana Dunn secured the sentence for Jeffrey Richard. Over a three-year period, Richard repeatedly had oral sex with a child who was between the ages of three and six years old. Richard pled guilty in September to one count of Rape First Degree, and was sentenced to life by Superior Court Judge John Parkins, Jr.

Deputy Attorneys General John Downs and Phillip Casale secured a prison sentence for Gary Smith, 44, of Newark. Smith pled guilty in September to Sexual Abuse by a Person in Position of Trust, Authority or Supervision, First Degree, and two counts of Rape Fourth Degree. While employed as the Choir Director at H.B. DuPont School in Hockessin, Smith repeatedly raped a student over a two-year period beginning in 2010. Smith was sentenced to 17 years in prison by Superior Court Judge Abigail LeGrow.

Deputy Attorney General Rebecca Song secured a guilty plea from Deshawn Jones, 20, of Wilmington, for Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited. In July 2016, Jones was involved in an incident involving a rifle. The next day, in an attempt to find Jones who was on probation at the time, Officers Dan Collins and Jose Vasquez of WPD Operation Safe Streets went to his home, and while looking for him, found a rifle. Jones, who is prohibited from having a gun because of a previous robbery conviction, was sentenced by Judge Charles Butler to the minimum mandatory of 5 years in prison, followed by 18 months of probation.

Deputy Attorneys General Sonia Augusthy and Marc Petrucci secured a prison sentence for 22-year-old Mikeal Stone of Newark. In February 2016, a vehicle failed to stop for an officer trying to stop him for speeding on I-95. The vehicle got away after a short chase through Ogletown, but a witness called 911 after seeing a driver pull behind a store in the 700 block of Ogletown Road, abandon his car, and throw a gun into the woods. Stone was convicted in July on charges of Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited, Possession of Ammunition by a Person Prohibited, Felony Disregarding a Police Signal, and Reckless Driving. Superior Court Judge Mary Johnston sentenced Stone to 5 years in prison, followed by 6 months of either work release or home confinement, followed by 1 year of probation.

Deputy Attorney General Barzilai Axelrod secured a prison sentence for 25-year-old Joseph Nost of Delaware City. In February 2016, Nost and his accomplice robbed several stores, including Wawa, Valero, and Family Dollar in the Bear area. Nost would enter the stores while his co-defendant remained in a vehicle outside. Nost was apprehended when an alert store employee that was in a parking lot recognized the vehicle that the Delaware State Police had identified as a vehicle of interest in their investigations and called police as a robbery occurred in the store. In September, Nost pled guilty to Robbery First Degree, Attempted Robbery Second Degree, Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon, two counts of Conspiracy Second Degree. Superior Court Judge John A. Parkins, Jr. sentenced Nost to 4 years in prison, followed by 6 months of either work release or home confinement, then 18 months of probation.