Prison Time for Defendants in Two Separate Murder Cases

Others face prison for sexual abuse, assault, and robbery charges.

A 43-year-old Wilmington man will spend 35 years in prison for a 2014 murder in Wilmington after being sentenced by a Superior Court judge. Deputy Attorneys General Brian Robertson and Maria Knoll secured the sentence for Marcus Crews. Crews pled guilty in Superior Court in December 2016 to Murder Second Degree and Robbery First Degree. In November 2014, Crews strangled a co-worker, Donald Smith, in Eden Park before stealing the victim’s bicycle.

Two Philadelphia men will go to prison for a 2015 home invasion homicide in Dover. Deputy Attorneys General Jason Cohee and Dennis Kelleher secured the sentences for Saleem Shabazz, 23, and 24-year-old Matthew Harrington. During a home invasion in October 2015, Shabazz and Harrington shot 52-year-old Clifton Leager to death. Shabazz, who pled guilty in March to Murder Second Degree, Conspiracy Second Degree, and Home Invasion received 34 years in prison from a Superior Court judge, followed by one year in a halfway house then 2 years of probation. Harrington, who pled guilty in March to Murder Second Degree, was sentenced by the judge to 25 years in prison, followed by one year in a halfway house then 2 years of probation.

A Superior Court jury convicted a 41-year-old Hockessin man of sexually assaulting a child. Deputy Attorneys General Jenna Milecki and Amanda DiLiberto obtained the conviction against Micah Smith for one count of Continuous Sexual Abuse of a Child, one count Sexual Abuse of a Child by a Person in a Position of Trust, Authority or Supervision Second Degree, and three counts of Unlawful Sexual Contact First Degree. Smith, who repeatedly abused a young child who was in his care, faces 2 – 57 years in prison when sentenced by a judge in August.

A 27-year-old Wilmington man already serving a life sentence for the 2008 murder of a Dover man, has been convicted by a Superior Court jury of Assault in a Detention Facility. The jury found that in February 2016, Eric Dolby repeatedly punched a correctional officer at the James T. Vaughn Correctional Institution when the officer ordered him to return to his cell. The officer suffered a broken nose, broken cheekbones, broken collarbone, and required a titanium plate permanently affixed in his face because of the beating. Dolby will be sentenced by a Superior Court judge in July. Deputy Attorneys General Kelly Sheridan and Jamie McCloskey prosecuted the case.

Deputy Attorneys General Jamie McCloskey and Kelly Sheridan secured a guilty plea from Brandon Anderson, 17, of New Castle, to Robbery First Degree, Robbery Second Degree, Attempted Robbery Second Degree and Conspiracy. During the summer of 2016, Anderson and a co-conspirator robbed the Dollar Tree store in the Eden Square Shopping Center on Route 40 in Bear three times over a span of a few weeks, the last time with what appeared to be a gun. Anderson will be sentenced by a judge in Superior Court in July.

A 29-year-old Wilmington man pled guilty in Superior Court to charges in two separate cases. Deputy Attorney General Kelly Sheridan secured the pleas from Matthew Brenner for Robbery Second Degree and Theft of More than $1,500 from a Victim over 62 Years of Age. In April 2016, Brenner robbed the Shell gas station at Route 13 and Route 273 in New Castle at gunpoint. In September 2016, Brenner stole a laptop computer and bag that was laying on the ground next to a vehicle at the I-95 Welcome Center Tesla Charging Station. Brenner faces sentencing by a judge in June.