DelDOT Announces Five Points Working Group
The Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) has announced a Working Group and kickoff meeting to address the infrastructure needs of the SR 1 and US 9 intersection (Five Points) and surrounding area.
With the formation of the Working Group, DelDOT is beginning the process of developing a transportation plan for the Five Points area. Phase I of this work will involve soliciting input from the community at large. The desired goal for Phase I is to engage the community in helping DelDOT and Sussex County with the development of conceptual transportation alternatives to improve this intersection and the surrounding area. The preliminary goal is to complete Phase I by the end of summer 2018.
The kickoff meeting for the Working Group will be held on Monday, December 18, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. at the Lewes Senior Center located at 32083 Janice Road, Lewes, DE 19958. This meeting will be open to the public.
“As we all know, a long-term infrastructure solution is needed for the Five Points intersection and surrounding area, and I’m grateful to the members of our Working Group who have volunteered their time and talents to help lead this process,” said Secretary of Transportation Jennifer Cohan. “We’ve had several attempts to put forth solutions in the past that were met with public resistance so we want the community’s input at the outset this time around. We want to collaboratively develop a comprehensive plan for resolving the transportation issues in this area.”
The current Five Points Working Group members are:
- IG Burton, Sussex County Council
- Linda Best, Local Business Owner
- George Cole, Sussex County Council
- Robert Fischer, Resident
- Dennis Forney, Publisher, Cape Gazette
- Scott Green, Resident
- Christian Hudson, Local Business Owner
- DJ Hughes, Technical Advisor
- Todd Lawson, Sussex County Administrator
- Senator Ernesto B. Lopez, 6th Senate District
- Lloyd Schmitz, Resident
- Rep. Peter Schwartzkopf, Representative 14th District
- Rep. Steve Smyk, Representative 20th District
- Ann Marie Townshend, City Manager, Lewes
- Pat Woods, The Factory, Local Business Owner
The Working Group will determine the dates and times of subsequent public meetings to be held in 2018.