Wilmington Man Convicted of First Degree Murder for 2014 Shooting

Other defendants face prison time on murder, robbery, rape and weapons charges

A Wilmington man faces life in prison when sentenced for a 2014 murder in Wilmington. Deputy Attorney General Mathew Frawley secured a guilty verdict against 28-year-old Demonte Johnson. In May 2014, Alphonso Boyd, 28, was shot and killed in the 1100 block of Conrad Street in Wilmington. In the early evening of May 27th, Boyd returned to Conrad Street where he lived. After talking to people in the area, he approached Johnson and an argument ensued. Johnson produced a .32 caliber semi-automatic firearm and shot Boyd in the back as Boyd attempted to flee. Boyd was pronounced dead that evening from a single gunshot wound to the back. A Superior Court jury convicted Johnson of Murder First Degree, Possession of a Deadly Weapon During the Commission of a Felony, and Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited. Johnson had been barred from having a gun because of a previous robbery conviction. A Superior Court judge will sentence Johnson later this year. Detective Tom Curley of the Wilmington Police Department investigated the case along with DOJ investigators Brian Daly, John Ciritella, and Cliff Dempsey, and the DOJ prosecution team included social worker Courtney Cochran, paralegal Stacey Coupe, and Gary Taylor, Director of the Victim/Witness Assistance Program.

Two men involved in a 2016 robbery attempt that left another man dead received prison sentences in Superior Court. In March 2016, Joseph Hunt, 33, and Durrion Morrison, 29, both of Wilmington, set up 39-year-old Jason Hicks of Newark to be robbed because of a previous drug deal between Hicks and Hunt. The robbery failed, and Morrison shot Hicks five times. Morrison was arrested in West Virginia, where he fled after the murder, for Possession With Intent to Deliver Cocaine. While out on bail, Morrison fled to Kentucky, where U.S. Marshals found him after charges were filed in Delaware. A Superior Court judge sentenced Morrison to 20 years in prison for his November 2017guilty plea to Murder Second Degree and Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony. The judge sentenced Hunt to 10 years in prison for his October 2017 guilty plea to Manslaughter, Attempted Robbery First Degree and Conspiracy Second Degree charges. Deputy Attorneys General John Downs and Allison Abessinio prosecuted the case, with assistance from Detective Tom Curley of the Wilmington Police Department who ran the investigation.

A 42-year-old Laurel man received a 35-year prison sentence in Delaware Superior Court for raping and impregnating a teenage child. The defendant, who was going by the name Omar Cameron, pled guilty in December 2017 to Rape Second Degree, Rape Fourth Degree, Sexual Abuse by a Person in Position of Trust or Authority, and Endangering the Welfare of a Child. After the defendant pled guilty but before he was scheduled to be sentenced, it was discovered that the defendant had been lying about his identity and was actually a Jamaican citizen named David Grant. Authorities subsequently learned that David Grant had a prior conviction for Sexual Assault in Canada in the mid-1990s, and fled from Canada to the U.S. several years later (while still on probation) after Canadian authorities obtained a new arrest warrant for Sexual Assault and related charges. After moving to Delaware, Omar Cameron/David Grant raped the teenage victim on multiple occasions. The abuse was uncovered and reported to police after the victim became pregnant with the defendant’s child. Deputy Attorney General Casey L. Ewart prosecuted the case with assistance from Detective Tyler Bryan of the Laurel Police Department and social worker Carla Ennals. Grant’s arrest warrant for Sexual Assault, along with a violation of probation, are still pending in Canada.

A Superior Court jury convicted Michael Lindsey, 46, of Wilmington of Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon, Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited, Possession of Ammunition by a Person Prohibited, and Resisting Arrest. In August 2017, police in the area of the 3000 block of North Market Street in Wilmington saw Lindsey, who was wanted on unlawful imprisonment and weapons charges. When officers approached, Lindsey led them on a foot chase through the area, throwing a loaded 9mm semi-automatic handgun in the street. Lindsey, a habitual offender with previous felony convictions on weapons, robbery, and drug charges, faces a minimum of 23 years in prison when sentenced by a Superior Court judge later this year. Deputy Attorney General Erika Flaschner prosecuted the case, which was investigated by Detective Michael Wilkerson of the Wilmington Police Department.