Man Pleads Guilty to Leaving Infant in Hot Car Leading to Child’s Death

Other defendants face prison time on manslaughter, drug, weapons, robbery, and burglary charges

Syiee Parker, a Wilmington man who left his 10-month-old child in a car one day last summer has pleaded guilty to causing her death. In July 2019, Parker, 37, dropped his wife off at work, and took 6 other children to summer camps. Despite initially telling police that he dropped off the child at daycare, an investigation determined that Parker failed to do so and returned home. The child remained in the car for over 7 hours and was found later that afternoon when Parker picked up his wife. Parker drove the child to the hospital, and upon arriving, she had a temperature of 109 degrees and was not breathing. Parker pleaded guilty to Criminally Negligent Homicide and Providing a False Statement to a Law Enforcement Officer. A Superior Court judge will sentence Parker next year. Deputy Attorneys General James Kriner and Diana Dunn prosecuted the case, with assistance from social worker Bettina Jones and paralegal Jayna Quillen.

A Dover man previously convicted of a fatal shooting has been sentenced to 75 years in prison. A Superior Court judge sentenced Reginald Waters, 33, for the 2016 killing of 31-year-old Clifton Thompson of Newark. In February 2016, Waters shot and killed Thompson after a brief interaction in the parking lot outside Thompson’s home in the Prides Court Apartments in Ogletown. In a bench trial in 2018, the judge found Waters guilty of Manslaughter, Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited, and Possession of Ammunition by a Person Prohibited. Barred from having a gun because of previous felony convictions for sexual assault and weapons charges, Waters was declared a habitual offender and sentenced to 75 years in prison, followed by 6 months of either home confinement or work release, then 1 year of probation. Deputy Attorneys General Brian Robertson and Cynthia Hurlock prosecuted the case with the assistance of paralegal Stacey Coupe.

A Wilmington man convicted on weapons and drug charges has been sentenced to 25 years in prison. Deputy Attorneys General Michael Cooksey and Anna Currier secured the sentence for 29-year-old Angel Arbolay. While on patrol in October 2018, members of the Delaware State Police Governor’s Task Force heard what they believed to be a domestic dispute at the Dutch Inn Motel on the 100 block of South Dupont Parkway in New Castle. As they investigated, they identified Angel Arbolay, a man wanted on a Violation of Probation charge, as being involved. Arbolay refused to let officers in the room, leading them to use a Taser to subdue Arbolay. Once inside, police found a loaded 9-mm handgun, close to 400 grams of marijuana, illegal prescription pills, cocaine, as well as materials and equipment used for packaging and dealing drugs. In July 2019, Arbolay was convicted by a Superior Court judge in a bench trial of Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Drug Dealing, Aggravated Drug Possession Tier 1, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Operating a Clandestine Laboratory, Possession of a Controlled Substance, Resisting Arrest, and Possession of Drug Dealing Paraphernalia. Abolay was sentenced to 25 years in prison, followed by 6 months of either home confinement or work release, then 18 months of probation. DOJ paralegals Meredith Parkinson and Julia Bacon assisted with the case.

A string of home burglaries in Kent County resulted in a guilty plea and prison sentence for a Georgetown man. Richard Edwards, 46, pleaded guilty to 3 counts of Burglary Second Degree. During the last week of May 2019, Edwards broke into homes Hartly, Dover, and Smyrna, and stole a 9-mm handgun, cash, jewelry, and a video game console. A Superior Court judge immediately sentenced Edwards to 10 years in prison, followed by 1 year of probation. Edwards will then remain on probation until restitution is paid. Deputy Attorneys General Stephen Smith and Sean Motoyoshi prosecuted the case.

Deputy Attorneys General Nicole Hartman and Sean Motoyoshi secured a prison sentence for a Marydel man for his previous guilty plea to weapons, drug, and theft charges. In January 2019, Dustin Bell, 22, robbed a woman at gunpoint, stealing her cell phone during an argument about money. When police executed a search warrant 2 days later, they found a loaded 9-mm handgun, methamphetamine, marijuana, and oxycodone. Bell pleaded guilty in August 2019 to Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Drug Dealing, and Theft of Less Than $1500. A Superior Court judge sentenced Bell to 7 years in prison including the Key substance abuse program, followed by completion of the Crest residential drug treatment program, then 1 year of Crest aftercare probation.