Arbor Day Poster Contest for Grades K to 5
Delaware Forest Service Arbor Day Poster Contest
2020 theme is “Trees Are Terrific…in Many Wonderful Ways!”
DOVER, Del. — To celebrate Arbor Day in the First State, the Delaware Forest Service is once again holding its annual “Arbor Day School Poster Contest” for students in grades K to 5 from all Delaware public, private, home school, after-school, and other organized youth groups. Winning posters will be selected from each of the three counties in the following categories: kindergarten, grades 1 and 2, grades 3 and 4, and grade 5. The twelve winners will be recognized at the annual Statewide Arbor Day Celebration hosted by Governor Carney! A tree planting ceremony will also be scheduled at each winner’s school to celebrate Arbor Day.
The poster contest is designed to increase student knowledge about forests and forest resources. For teachers, the poster contest can be an ideal way for students to learn more about the role of trees in our communities and their direct impact on Delawareans’ health and well-being. The schoolyard is a perfect setting to incorporate the role of trees into your everyday curriculum. Trees not only provide beauty, shade, and habitat and food for wildlife, they also improve air quality, muffle noise, moderate air temperatures, filter runoff into streams and rivers, and reduce energy consumption.
“Trees Are Terrific…in Many Wonderful Ways!”
Posters will be judged on originality, use of theme, neatness, and artistic expression.
Teachers can access the shared google folder for the 2020 Poster Guidelines and Rules, Curriculum Guide and additional resources.
All participating classes receive free loblolly pine seedlings delivered to their schools, just in time to celebrate Arbor Day!
Ashley Melvin, Delaware Forest Service – (302) 698-4551
Dates to Remember:
- Deadline to register and reserve free seedlings: March 9
- Deadline to submit posters for state contest: April 1
- Arbor Day in Delaware: April 24
- Seedling delivery: mid-April
In 2019, the Delaware Forest Service hosted its annual Arbor Day Ceremony at Dover’s Schutte Park, honoring its school poster contest winners and recognizing Dover’s 30th Year as the First State’s longest-running Tree City USA. The event culminated with the planting of more than 30 large trees at six locations, including a zelkova on the historic Green on State Street. Delaware State University also held its Arbor Day event and celebrated its 8th consecutive year as Delaware’s only certified Tree Campus USA, followed by a ceremonial tree planting on campus.
Each poster contest winner received a tree-themed book and a print reproduction of their poster on fine art canvas. Thanks to corporate sponsor Delmarva Power, a free tree planting ceremony will also be held at each winner’s school. In addition, every participating classroom receives free pine seedlings for all participants. Once again this year, students from the Middletown High School FFA Chapter and senior volunteers from the Modern Maturity Center in Dover are wrapping thousands of seedlings to distribute to schoolchildren statewide. Check out the previous year’s winners:
- View 2019 Arbor Day Poster Winners
- View 2018 Arbor Day Contest Winners
- View 2017 Arbor Day Contest Winners
- View 2016 Arbor Day Contest Winners
- View 2015 Arbor Day Contest Winners
- View 2014 Arbor Day Contest Winners
For more information, email: Ashley Melvin
Arbor Day observances are also an integral part of community recognition programs such as Tree Campus USA, Tree City USA, and Delaware’s Tree Friendly Community Award, as well as qualifying for a financial award from the Urban Grant Program.
Past Delaware Arbor Day celebrations:
- Agriculture Secretary Scuse celebrates Arbor Day at Schutte Park in Dover
- Governor Carney celebrates 2018 Arbor Day at St. Jones Reserve
- Senator Tom Carper celebrates 2017 Arbor Day at Dover Air Force Base
- Governor Markell celebrates 2016 Arbor Day at DDA in Dover
- Governor Markell celebrates 2015 Arbor Day at Appoquinimink
- Governor Markell celebrates 2014 Arbor Day at McIlvaine Early Childhood Center
- Governor Markell celebrates 2013 Arbor Day at Blackbird State Forest
- Governor Markell celebrates 2012 Arbor Day at Delaware State University
- 2013 Arbor Day Celebration in Wilmington