The Delaware Division of the Arts Announces the 2017 Delaware Arts Summit
Dover, Del. (October 17, 2017) – The biennial Arts Summit will be held on Monday, October 30, 2017 from 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Dover Downs Hotel & Casino, Dover. This year’s theme is “Arts for All: Transforming Individuals & Communities.”
The Arts Summit brings together Delaware’s arts community to connect, learn, and get inspired. The speakers and sessions will illuminate ways to create value and increase the impact of the arts to purposefully enhance well-being, understanding, learning, and creativity for all. Sessions include:
- Activism and Advocacy
- Intentional Practice
- Breaking Stereotypes
- Effective Marketing
- Sensitivity and Accessibility
- The Power of Volunteers
The keynote address will be presented by Liz Lerman, an internationally recognized choreographer, performer, writer, educator and speaker, who has been the recipient of such honors as a 2002 MacArthur Fellowship and a 2017 Jacob’s Pillow Dance Award for her visionary work. Her artistry crosses all divides with results that are participatory and universally relevant.
Featured speakers will also include First Lady Tracey Quillen Carney; The Honorable Bethany Hall-Long, Lt. Governor; The Honorable Jeffrey W. Bullock, secretary of state; Paul Weagraff, director, Delaware Division of the Arts; J. Mack Wathen, chair, Delaware State Arts Council; and Dan Cruce, board president, Delaware Arts Alliance.
For more information and to register for the conference, please visit: https://arts.delaware.gov/summit/.
Registration is $55 (includes breakfast, lunch and refreshments) and will be accepted online through October 24. If space is available, registration will also be accepted on site. Use hashtags: #DEArtSummit17 and #artsde; Tag us at: @ArtsDelaware
Featured speakers and workshop leaders will be:
- First Lady Tracey Quillen Carney, State of Delaware
- The Honorable Bethany Hall-Long, Lt. Governor
- The Honorable Jeffrey W. Bullock, Secretary of State
- Paul Weagraff, Director, Delaware Division of the Arts
- J. Mack Wathen, Chair, Delaware State Arts Council
- Dan Cruce, Board President, Delaware Arts Alliance
- Keynote Speaker:
- Liz Lerman, Choreographer, Performer, Writer, Educator, Speaker
- Workshop Leaders:
- Carol Barnett, Planner, DE Division of Services for the Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities, New Castle, DE
- Kelly Barsdate, Chief Program and Planning Officer, National Assembly of State Arts Agencies, Washington, D.C.
- Randi Korn, Founding Director, Randi Korn & Associates, Inc., Alexandria, VA
- Chris McLeod, Principal, CLM Marketing, Washington, D.C.
- Jennie Smith-Peers, Executive Director, National Center for Creative Aging, Washington, D.C.
- Sheri Wilensky Burke, Sheri Wilensky Burke Consulting LLC, Philadelphia, PA
- Artist Performers:
- Fearless Improv, City Theater Company, featuring cast members Jana Savini, Mary Catherine Kelley, Dave Duszak, and George Tietze, uses listening, support, and yes-anding to create a show, on the spot, that magnifies the absurdity of the human experience.
- Outreach Ensemble, Delaware Choral Society: Formed in 2014, the Delaware Choral Society (DCS) Outreach Ensemble is a subset of DCS. The group, directed by James Byrne and accompanied by Bryan Roscoe, performs for business and civic events as well as in hospital and residential facilities.
For more information on Summit speakers, artists, events and location, please visit: https://arts.delaware.gov/summit/.
Contact: Leeann Wallett, Program Officer, Communications and Marketing