State Sen. Gary Simpson and state Rep. Harvey Kenton visit Abbott’s Mill in Milford in celebration of the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs’ accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums. From left: division director Tim Slavin, Simpson and Kenton
Developed and sustained by museum professionals for over 45 years, the alliance’s accreditation program is the field’s primary vehicle for quality assurance, self-regulation and public accountability. It strengthens the museum profession by promoting practices that enable leaders to make informed decisions, allocate resources wisely and remain financially and ethically accountable in order to provide the best possible service to the public.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, Abbott’s Mill was built in the late-19th century and continued to ground grain into flour until 1960. The present mill was built on the foundations of earlier milling structures dating to the late 1700s. Acquired by the State of Delaware in the 1960s, the mill complex is comprised of the preserved grain mill, 1905 house, stable, and outbuildings. The complex is managed by the Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs which leases it to the Delaware Nature Society for use as a nature center. For visitor information, go to the Abbott’s Mill Nature Center webpage or call 302-422-0847.