State of Delaware - Search and Services/Information
- Delaware Forest Service to hold 19th "Fire Camp" at Redden State Forest on April 26The Delaware Forest Service will hold its 19th annual Fire Camp at Redden State Forest near Georgetown on Saturday, April 26 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. The intensive one-day seminar provides hands-on training to volunteer wildland firefighters and, weather permitting, will feature a "live burn" exercise in which crew members battle an actual wildfire.2014-04-16 17:29:09
- Michalski named Delaware Tree Farmer of the YearBrian Michalski was honored as the 2014 Delaware Tree Farmer of the Year at the annual meeting of the Delaware Forestry Association in Bridgeville recently. Michalski is a four-time chair of the state Tree Farm Committee and has operated his 59-acre tree farm near Greenwood, Sussex County since it was first certified in 1997. He has also been DFA’s president for four years.2014-03-31 14:59:29
- Delaware Tree Farmer of the Year named on March 27The Delaware Forestry Association (DFA) will present its 2014 Tree Farmer of the Year Award at its annual meeting on Thursday, March 27, 2014 from 5:30 to 9 p.m. at the Bridgeville Fire Hall, 311 Market St., Bridgeville, DE 19933. Tickets are $27 for adults and $12.50 for children ages 6 to 12. DFA is a nonprofit organization established in 1982 to promote the sustainable practice of forestry on the Delmarva Peninsula. Info at delawareforest.com.2014-03-13 16:28:34
- Delaware Forest Service Arbor Day Poster Contest The Delaware Forest Service's 2014 Arbor Day Poster Contest is now open to all Delaware students in grades K to 5. Public, private and home schools are encouraged to participate as well as after-school groups and youth organizations. Posters are due by April 4th, 2013. This year's poster contest theme - "Trees are Terrific…In Cities and Towns!" - is dedicated to the important role that trees play in our communities and schoolyards. 2014-02-26 11:39:22
- Del. Arborist and Tree Care Seminar is March 4 and 5 The 2014 Delaware Arborist and Tree Care Seminar will be held on March 4 and 5 at Baywood Greens in Long Neck, Sussex County. Cost is $80 with lunch included. Register at delawaretrees.com. 2014-02-05 17:26:22
- Woodland Management Workshop at Del. Ag. Week on Jan. 17"Invading Your Forest," a workshop on managing invasive species in Delaware woodlands, will be held on Friday, January 17 from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the ACE building-Delaware State Fairgrounds, Harrington.2014-01-07 14:51:02
- Delaware Forest Service seeks motivated recruits for wildfire trainingThe Delaware Forest Service is seeking qualified and interested individuals for its upcoming series of wildfire training classes at the Delaware State Fire School. Ideal candidates should be: at least 18 years of age, physically and mentally fit, motivated to learn, and willing to travel for two weeks or more for out-of-state assignments. 2013-12-13 14:51:33
- Delaware Forest Service helps streetscape project take root in GeorgetownThe Delaware Forest Service funded a streetscape project in Georgetown, highlighted by the planting of 18 new cherry and lilac trees along East Market Street near the Sussex County Courthouse. Total cost was estimated at $37,000.2013-10-30 12:41:04
- Smokey Bear takes fire safety message to Delaware's largest kindergarten program (photos)535 kindergarten students at McIlvaine Early Childhood Center in Magnolia learned fire safety from Smokey Bear as part of the Delaware Forest Service's annual education program. Located in the Caesar Rodney School District, McIlvaine is the largest kindergarten program in the First State. 2013-10-08 16:33:53
- Forest Service and Smokey Bear Spread Fire Safety Message to First-Grade StudentsAs part of National Fire Prevention Month in October, Smokey Bear will be visiting classrooms with the Delaware Forest Service's yearly fire prevention education programs targeted to first-grade students in the state's private, public, and charter schools. Ashley Peebles coordinates the successful effort that reaches around 9,000 students annually.2013-10-07 09:52:23
- Free beekeeping event on Sept. 21Learn about beekeeping basics, beehives, honey production and more at a free Open Hive Event sponsored by the Delaware Beekeepers Association. The free public event will be 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sept. 21 at Redden State Forest, Georgetown.
- Update: First State firefighters battle blaze in Idaho's Payette National ForestA crew of 19 wildland firefighters trained by the Delaware Forest Service are on the front lines of the Howard Fire in Idaho's Payette National Forest, a blaze ignited by lightning in the rugged terrain east of Riggins, Idaho.2013-08-21 16:27:53
- Delaware firefighters now headed to Coin Mountain Fire in Idaho's Payette National ForestA team of Delaware volunteer firefighters who have been battling a blaze in Utah for the past week are now headed to a new assignment in the Payette National Forest near McCall, Idaho. According to Delaware state forester Michael Valenti of Dover, who is traveling with the team, Delaware's crew will be traveling over 500 miles from Utah to Idaho on August 20, and then begin its first operational period on August 21.2013-08-20 15:40:22
- Update: Delaware wildfire crew battling Patch Springs Fire in UtahA team of wildland firefighters from Delaware is now assigned to the Patch Springs Fire – a 14,000-acre blaze located two miles northwest of Terra, UT that is only 20 percent contained. According to the National Interagency Fire Center, the blaze is characterized by active fire behavior in timber with group tree torching and long-range spotting. Structures are threatened and evacuations in effect.
The Delaware firefighters are working on Division Z, where they are assisting with burn-out operations, line prep and patrolling. There are four crews assigned to the blaze, part of almost 150 personnel assigned to the incident. Estimated containment date: August 22.
- Delaware sending wildfire crew to Utah in response to large fires in WestIn response to increased fire activity in the West, the Delaware Forest Service has sent a 20-person crew of wildland firefighters to Utah. The crew will be "pre-positioned" there before a likely assignment to Eastern Great Basin region. This is the second crew from Delaware this summer - the first battled an 85,000-acre blaze near North Pole, Alaska in July. The crew departed Sunday, August 11, from Blackbird State Forest near Smyrna to board a flight to Salt Lake City, Utah from Harrisburg, PA on Monday, August 12.