Traffic Safety News – See the light. Buckle up at night.
Did you know that you are three times more likely to be killed in a car crash at night? Statistics show that the night time hours are the most dangerous time to be on the road. When the odds are against you it makes sense to play it safe. Buckle up and be protected.
What you need to know
Next time you get behind the wheel, take a moment to put on your seat belt. Need a good reason? Consider this:
- In 2012, 32 car crash fatalities in Delaware were attributed to lack of a seat belt.
- Wearing a seat belt decreases your risk of being seriously injured or killed in a crash by 50%.
What you can do
Delaware has a primary seat belt law aimed to protect citizens driving on the roadways across our state. These laws are simple to follow, and when you do it every time you get in a car, it will keep you safest in the event of a crash.
- Everyone in the vehicle, including backseat passengers and children, must wear seat belts properly.
- Lap and shoulder belts must be worn and shoulder belts may not be placed behind the back or under the arm.
- Children must be in an age/ weight appropriate seat. The back seat is safest for all children under the age of 12.
Officers are on the lookout for unbelted drivers day and night. Drivers who are unbelted, or have unbelted passengers, may face a fine and court costs totaling $83.50. See the light. Buckle up at night. Get enlightened, go to www.ohs.delaware.gov.
Buckle Up. Arrive Alive DE.
This message is being sent to you by the Office of Highway Safety, who asks you to drive safely at all times. For more information on this and other traffic safety programs, go to www.ohs.delaware.gov.