Category “Division of the Arts”
- Ramona Maziarz to display detailed pen and ink drawings in Mezzanine Gallery in MayThe artist explores nature by going on routine walks; along the way gathering different subject matter that resonate with her. She often uses leaves and twigs and other materials that many people tend to overlook. April 30, 2013
- Jessica Stephens to Display Jewelry Inspired by Landscapes in the Mezzanine Gallery in AprilThe artist experiments with different materials such as coral, sterling silver, copper, and enamel. Relying heavily on line and basic geometric forms, Stephens’ intention is to create abstract and fragmented topographic studies.April 2, 2013
- Jordan McMillan to Represent Delaware in National Finals of Poetry Out LoudJordan McMillan, a freshman from Sanford School, won Delaware’s Poetry Out Loud state competition on March 6, 2013, held at the Smyrna Opera House. For her winning presentation, Jordan will receive $200 and an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, DC, with a chaperone to compete for the national championship April 28-30, 2013.March 7, 2013
- Delaware State Employee Art Exhibition Winners AnnouncedTwenty-one awards were announced in five categories – Professional, Intermediate, Amateur, Teen (13-18 years old), and Youth (12 years and under), culminating in one Best in Show. Sixteen cash prizes totaling $2,400 were awarded by the National Arts Program®. March 5, 2013
- March for the Arts in Education Month: Empowering Youth through the ArtsHighlighting the importance of the arts in every child’s education, Governor Jack Markell introduces Empowering Youth through the Arts, a series of videos that document outstanding arts programs being offered in arts organizations and cultural centers across the state.
February 27, 2013
- Ellen Priest to Display Paintings Inspired by Jazz in the Mezzanine Gallery in MarchThis solo exhibition of Ellen Priest’s work will showcase mid-sized drawings and layered paintings from two series: the ‘Up Jumped Spring’ series based on Freddie Hubbard’s lyrical jazz waltz, and the Berklee Series “Jazz: Thinking Out Loud, Reaching for Song.” The Berklee Series is the result of a joint painting/jazz project with student composers at Berklee College of Music’s elite Global Jazz Institute.February 26, 2013
- Twelve High School Students will Compete to be Named Delaware’s Poetry Out Loud State FinalistThe students will participate in the Poetry Out Loud state finals at the Smyrna Opera House on Wednesday, March 6 at 7 p.m. The event is free and the public is invited to attend. The winner will represent Delaware in the national Poetry Out Loud championship April 28-30, 2013.February 20, 2013
- David Brinley’s Paintings Featured in the Mezzanine Gallery in FebruaryPersonal observation, notes from David Brinley’s sketchbook, ephemera, vintage books, music, and recollections inform the subject matter of each painting and ultimately determine the context and the content of the work.
January 29, 2013
- Grants for Arts Programming Available to Delaware Community Organizations (Deadline to apply: March 1)The Division offers Opportunity Grants and Project Support grants to nonprofit community-based organizations and municipalities that provide arts programming. The deadline to apply is March 1 and new applicants are encouraged to contact Division staff before applying.January 23, 2013
- Seventeen Delaware Artists Receive Fellowship GrantsThe Delaware Division of the Arts has announced the Fiscal Year 2013 winners of its Individual Artist Fellowship (IAF) grants. Seventeen individual Delaware artists are being recognized for the high quality of their artwork in the visual arts, literature, music, jazz performance, choreography, and folk arts. January 8, 2013