State of Delaware - Search and Services/Information

State of Delaware - The Official Website of the First State State of Delaware - The Official Website of the First State
Services and Information

Hurricane Sandy Individual Assistance Claim Process

Posted On: Friday, November 2nd, 2012

Categories: DEMA News

Bookmark and Share

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the clean-up and recovery process may leave many property owners wondering where to go for financial assistance to recover from damages suffered in the storm.  Some aid may be available to qualified property owners through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Damage assessment depends upon homeowners and other property owners reporting significant damage and storm related impacts to their local city or county Emergency Management Agency.  The numbers to call to report storm related damage, and the staffing hours are:

In Wilmington – 302-576-CITY (2489)     Number staffed Mon.-Fri.  9am-5pm

In New Castle County – 302-395-5555     Number staffed Mon.-Fri.  8am-4pm

In Kent County – 302-735-3465                Number staffed 24/7

In Sussex County – 302-856-7366             Number staffed 24/7

How should homeowners determine whether to call?  If significant damage to the home caused the resident to move out or if they will have to find other housing while repair work is performed, they should call their city or county Emergency Management Agency at the appropriate number listed.  If the residence is a mobile home and water reached floor level, owners should also call.

Business owners whose business had physical or economic losses that are not covered by private insurance should call their county Emergency Management Agency.

If in doubt, call the proper city or county Emergency Management Agency.  Property owners who fail to call and make a claim could miss an opportunity for financial assistance.

Bookmark and Share